Technology Solutions for Seniors to Maintain their Health
In today’s connected world, it’s important for seniors to have the ability to use technology. Technology is changing the face of aging, such as staying socially connected with loved ones, staying physically and mentally active, and extending their ability to live safely at home for longer periods of time.
Let’s look at how technology can provide significant benefits to seniors and caregivers.
Usage of the Internet Among Elderly Seniors:
- 70% of internet users aged 65+ use the internet on a typical day.
- Baby Boomers spend 27 hours per week online.
- 82% of boomers/seniors use search engines to gather information on topics of interest.
Why Do Seniors Use Technology:
- 78% – Technology allows seniors to easily access information on Personal Interests.
- 60% – The internet keeps you up to date on political and policy issues.
Types of Information Seniors access online:
- 66% – News and Weather
- 57% – Shopping
- 44% – Food Information
- 43% – Games and related activities
- 45% – Coupons, Discounts, and Deals
How do Elderly People Use Technology?
- 35% of grandparents communicate with their family via social media.
- 75% use some form of an online communication system to stay in touch.
- 40% of seniors watch news videos online to stay up to date.
- 53% use the Internet to get information about health issues.
- 68% of seniors watch videos online for entertainment.
- 63% watch TV shows online.
Ways technology solves the problems in seniors:
- Handling new medications, how often to take them, and how much to take can be managed
- GPS tracking devices can keep track of seniors and locate them quickly and easily.
Health Tracking Tools
- Assist seniors in taking care of both their physical and mental health.
Care Coordination Apps & Devices
- Health updates, messages and prayers, and caregiver information can be shared among loved ones.
- Apps like Skype and social media sites like Facebook and Instagram can help socialize.
Online Forums & Support Communities
- Loved ones get the best free care and support possible.